Sunday, February 1, 2009

Super Bowl Prediction (I Hope Is Wrong)!

If you saw Heartland News at Ten Saturday night (or read my first blog entry) you know which team I hope wins Super Bowl XLIII.... The Arizona Cardinals.

You know I picked Arizona because Mary-Ann Malony asked John Dissauer and I which team will win. Before I could answer Mary-Ann turned to me and said "I know you hate the Steelers." I wish I had more time to say something but the producer was counting down to the end of the newscast..."10..9..8..7..."

It's tough to make a substantial statement in just a few seconds. So, I will "blog" how I wanted to respond last night.
"Mary-Ann, hate is such a strong word.... But in this case it fits. As a Cincinnati Bengals fans it's in my dna to become ill when I see the "Terrible Towel" or hear anyone utter "Pittsburgh Steelers".Since this is a family newscast I won't even mention Kimo von Oellhoffen's cheap shot on the knee of Bengals QB Carson Palmer in the 2005 Wildcard game. That only touches the surface of my dislike for the Steelers. I could go on for hours... But I'll stop."

That would have been an interesting moment at the end of the newscast.

Take a look at the pictures of the hit on Palmer... Looks like a cheap shot to me...you decide.

I want to be clear... Don't take my "hatred" for the Steelers too seriously. I wish no harm to anyone and don't "hate" any of their players. I just like to see the Steelers lose football games. Heck I would love to have Hines Ward wearing Bengals stripes and catching passes from Carson Palmer... and I might even welcome Kimo von Oelhoffen (a former Bengal) back to the team if I thought he might help the defense.

This is why sports are great....They give fans an outlet to release frustration in a healthy manner. Unfortunelty some take their "hatred" to and extreme (fan-on-fan violence, etc.)
I experienced fan-on-fan violence first hand... or should I say first fist, while in college. I'lll save that story for another entry.

Ok...If you made it though my ramble.... Here is my Super Bowl XLIII pick (I Hope Is Wrong):
Pittsburgh 31
Arizona 28

What's your prediction?

No comments:

Post a Comment