Thursday, November 4, 2010

Redhawks get National recognition

Just saw this in the USA Today.  The Redhawks getting more National love.

USA Today: SE Missouri turns in winning direction


I was asked by a SEMO fan at Saturday's game against UT Martin if I think the team has "turned the corner on losing seasons".  It's a question I hear often.

My long-winded answer.

I'm looking at the current successful football season as if you would a glass of water half full.  With one tip of the glass it becomes empty or with some effort it could be filled to the top.

If the Redhawks football program is the proverbial "glass of water" will it fill up or go empty?

SEMO was in a similar position following the 2002 season.  They finished 8-4 overall and tied for second in the OVC at 4-2.  The next seven seasons were pretty much forgettable...18 win and 49 losses.

So, which direction will the Redhawaks go?

Sports media is often slammed for being too quick to dish out negatives and slow to be positive. Much of the criticism is rightfully deserved.

With that written....I can't congratulate the program and school enough for what they have done and what they could do still do (OVC Title, FCS Playoffs), but I can't jump onto the bandwagon and believe they have completely turned the corner.  I really hope they have, but it's hard to go against history (only 3 winning seasons since 1991).

Once this season comes to an end SEMO President Ken Dobbins and school officials have to decide if they believe the program under head coach Tony Samuel (in the final year of his contract) and his staff is the right group to keep the momentum rolling into the future.  Will they look at history and think this season is a "blip" on the screen.

I'm glad I do not have to make that choice.

Whatever happens...I only hope the program has turned the corner on losing.

No comments:

Post a Comment