Thursday, August 20, 2009

Return Of Michael Vick & Brett Favre


If you have flipped on ESPN or any other sports network (television, radio or the web) no doubt you have heard the big NFL news: Michael Vick is out of federal prison and back in the NFL (signing with the Philadelphia Eagles) and Mr. Indecisive Brett Favre comes out of his second retirement to play for his third (Minnesota Vikings) team in three seasons.

I'll start with the most recent story (Favre). I think my views are in the minority...I'm glad he's back...I think his return is a good thing. If you have a rooting interest in the Detroit Lions, Chicago Bears, New York Jets or Green Bay Packers you probably feel differently. Those fans not welcoming Brett back to the NFL...I get that.

Why the hate for Farve from others? His return brings another storyline to the season in more ways than one. I can't wait for Monday October 5th when Favre and his new team hosts his old team...Green Bay. The two meet at Lambeau Field November 1st. I can only imagine what the atmosphere will be that night.

Sure Favre is tiptoeing the endzone of his career...enjoy what he has left to offer the game and be happy you get to watch one of the greatest quarterbacks in the history of the NFL. Can't we find more important things in the sports world to get worked up about than the retirement / return / retirement / return of Favre?

A great football fan once said...."A league without Brett Favre is a Brett Favre-less-league."
Ahh...words to live by.

As for Michael Vick...I will ride the fence. Do I think he deserves a second shot? Yes.
Am I a fan of him? No...never have been.
I've always thought he was an overrated QB. With that said I can find arguments "for" and "against" him returning to the NFL.

If I were a team executive I would look into the possibility of signing a great athlete like Vick. After all...winning is everything in the NFL...You lose and you lose your job. On the flip side Is it really worth the cost? Forget Vicks salary the true cost of signing him would be...Can I look at myself in the mirror, sleep at night and come to some sort of peace with the horrible acts he was a part of while taking part in a dog fighting operation…tough questions. I'm really glad I am not in the position to have to face that scenario.

[Disclaimer]
I could write paragraphs of my disdain for anyone committing cruel acts to animals. There is no justification for the senseless brutality. My wife and I have a dachshund and couldn't imagine harming her...For all intents and purposes she is like our child.

1 comment:

  1. Chad,

    We live in a world where the only thing that matters is money. Don't quote me, but I heard on espn radio the other day that none of the main sponsers of the Philly Eagles have dropped their sponsership. Are you suprised by this?

    I am not because sponsers want to sponser a team that is going to win and, I guess, they believe Vick will help accomplish that.

    Good luck with Football on Friday nights.

    ReplyDelete