Saturday, January 24, 2009

You Play To Win The Game!

I'll admit I was somewhat surprised to hear the Kansas City Chiefs fired Herman Edwards Friday night with a year remaining on his $12 million dollar contract. Not surpsied because I think Herm was on his way to leading the Chiefs to the Super Bowl, I raised and eyebrow because of the timing. It took new General Manager Scott Pioli more than a week (after joining the Chiefs) to lower the boom on Herm. What did Pioli need to figure out in that span of time? I think any person could see the writing on the wall...Fire Edwards, and start your reign as General Manager by bringing in "your" coach and begin with a fresh clean slate.

The numbers on Herman Edwards at Kansas City:
2006 9-7*
2007 4-12
2008 2-14
Total: 15-33
*Lost to Indianapolis in the AFC Wildcard Game

Who will replace Edwards? The rumor mill is going strong...The leading candidate appears to be former Denver Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan. Some reports suggest he is in negotiations with the Chiefs while other reports suggest the opposite. Will Shanahan take over in KC? I have no idea, but I think it's safe to say Vince Lombardi would struggle with this team.

My two cents: If they hire a retread I would go with Mike Martz or Jon Gruden. I know both are drastically different but each can bring something to the table KC needs. Gruden fields tough teams and Martz can put together a fun offense to watch...Heck maybe Pioli should hire both.

No comments:

Post a Comment