Friday, January 23, 2009



Ready For Some (More) Football!

As we approach Super Bowl XLIII the majority of sports talk the next two weeks will no doubt focus on the NFL.
Rightfully so...the Pittsburgh Steelers may be America's 2nd favorite team (as a Bengals fan it hurt to write that) and the Arizona Cardinals represent a great story.

If you dig deep you'll find football fans soon get another outlet to feed their voracious appetites. A new pro league is in the works and set to begin late summer or early fall 2009. The United Football league is being organized by former Jacksonville Jaguar VP for personnel Michael Huyghue, now the first Commissioner of the UFL.

Currently the UFL has six cities named as a potential home for one of the inaugural franchises.

  • Hartford, CT
  • Las Vegas, NV
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • New York, NY
  • Orlando, FL
  • San Francisco, CA


UFL Commissioner Huyghue posted on his blog at the official UFL website a few differences between the UFL and the NFL.

  • Games will be played exclusively on Thursday and Friday nights
  • Fans can buy stock in the team
  • Field goals over 50 yards are worth 4 points
  • $20 million dollar salary cap

I am very skeptical of a new league, but will welcome it with open arms and hope it's not as gimmicky as the XFL (cheerleader locker room cameras and created story lines between commentators and coaches). Before we get too excited don't forget other leagues which tried to tackle the NFL beast:

  • 1982-87 United State Football League
  • 1973-75 World Football League

Will you support another football league? Let me know what you think.

For more information on the United Football League go to:

5 comments:

  1. I, too, love football. The XFL was god awful and I don't like the Arena league. I tried to watch the Grey Cup back on Sunday November 23, on the Versus channel, and I just couldn't get into it because the down and distances were different from the NFL. If there were a CFL game on every week in the USA then I could maybe get into it if I understood it more. I just couldn't get into the Grey cup eventhough I tried.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "D" thanks for the responce. I also tried (years ago) to latch onto the CFL, but (like you)I just couldn't get on board with the different rules. To me the Arena League was like watching a video game played live. If the new league actualy begins I wonder how it will be received.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Opps... Misspelled response. I need to check my spelling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You ask a valid question about how the league will be received. I think a lot of that depends on what network (if any) carries its games. I hope to god I don't see their games on the Versus channel. I still don't think that Versus realizes Hockey in America just sucks!!!!!!!


    P.S. I am glad you have a blog I can respond to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, what do you think of the chiefs firing Edwards? If they are unable to get Shanahan, is the firing a mistake?

    If they don't get Mike S. I say yes.

    ReplyDelete