Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Braves select a pair of Redhawks


Simmons and Moses Drafted by Atlanta Braves

(SEMO Sports Information)

CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. – Right-handed pitcher Shae Simmons and third baseman Trenton Moses were teammates at Southeast Missouri. Now, it appears their paths will cross again as both were selected by the Atlanta Braves     Wednesday during the final day of the Major League Baseball Draft.

Simmons was chosen in the 22nd round (689th overall) and Moses was picked in the 26th round (809th overall), becoming Southeast's 15th and 16th all-time draft picks, respectively.

They are the first Redhawks to be drafted by the same organization since Jeremy Johnson and Daniel Huesgen went in the 26th and 38th rounds to the Toronto Blue Jays in 2000.

Players often experiences a series of emotions come draft time, and things were no different for Simmons.

“I was sitting in my living room, and as soon as I got up and walked away from my computer, my phone started ringing,” said Simmons. “I first got a phone call from my advisor and then got a call from a Braves scout. It was really exciting.”

A Second-Team All-Ohio Valley Conference honoree, Simmons went 7-4 with a 4.50 ERA in 15 starts this season. He led the Redhawks in wins, strikeouts (89) and innings pitched (82.0). Simmons, who appeared in 10 games as Southeast's No. 2 starter, led the OVC in strikeouts with nearly 10 per contest (9.77).

Moses was recently named a Second-Team Louisville Slugger All-American by     Collegiate Baseball Newspaper.

The 2012 OVC Player of the Year, Moses became just the third player in conference history to win that prestigious award in multiple seasons. He led the league in batting average (.408), home runs (19), on-base percentage (.531) and slugging percentage (.761) this year. Moses led the nation in both slugging and on-base percentage, as well.

“I was watching the computer with my family and heard my name called on the internet,” said Moses. “I was pretty excited and it is cool to be drafted by the same team that Shae was.”

Both Simmons and Moses could sign with the Braves as early as Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment